Child Support Retained by the State of Maryland Montgomery Lawyer

If court-ordered child support on a parent, this parent is expected to make monthly payments to the custodial parent. the receiving parent may find that the child support payments are not made on time, are less than what the court ordered or are not being paid at all, there are a number of legal ways the custodial parent may enforce court-ordered child support. This means that a parent who refuses to pay child support will face problems until they decide to do so.

A receiving parent may contact their county’s child support agency and request that they enforce the child support. For custodial parents that receive public assistance, the child support agency is legally authorized to collect child support as reimbursement for the assistance provided by the state of Maryland. For parents that do not receive assistance, the child support agency will appoint a child support worker to work with the custodial parent and may even assign a lawyer if it is found necessary to enforce the order in court.

The child support agency in Maryland may use a number of methods to collect child support including:

  • Deduct child support from salary
  • Deduct child support from tax refunds
  • Inform credit bureaus that the individual is not paying court-ordered child support
  • Inform employer that the individual is not paying child support
  • Inform Motor Vehicle Administration that the parent is not paying child support in order to obtain a driver’s license suspension
  • Refuse passport renewal
  • Seize financial assets
  • Demand suspension of a professional license

Another way to enforce child support is to assign a wage assignment. In a wage assignment, the paying parent’s employer will be in charge of deducting child support payments from the salary and making the payments directly to the custodial parent. A wage assignment can also be ordered at the same time the child support is ordered.

Each state is required to have a Parent Locator Service. This service uses information from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Social Security Administration to help locate a parent that may have gone into hiding or left the state of Maryland to avoid paying child support. Once he/she is located, the custodial parent may enforce child support by claiming tax refunds.

In addition, by not paying court-ordered child support, a parent is willingly disobeying the law and can be found in contempt of court. This means that the court in Maryland can act in a number of ways in order to force the parent to pay the child support including temporary imprisonment until a specific amount determined by a judge is paid to the custodial parent. A custodial parent or the child support agency may file a claim for contempt that will be served to the non-paying parent in order to ensure that they are not deprived of their constitutional rights of being able to defend themselves. The court schedules a hearing to determine if the parent is in contempt.

If you need a Maryland Child Support lawyer to help you with your Child Support case in Maryland, call us at 888-437-7747. Our Maryland Child Support attorneys can help you.

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Close Menu