The one point contact for those in Baltimore Maryland accused of a crime, arrested for a crime, or picked up for investigation a crime is a reputed criminal lawyer. They provide legal representation to the defendants in the court. Top criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland from the Law Offices of SRIS, P.C. can guide you through these tough times. The criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland work on your behalf in the case to bring desirable outcomes.
Can criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland help you if they know you are guilty?
The lawyers practicing criminal laws in Baltimore Maryland do not mind defending a person despite knowing he/she is guilty of a crime. It is up to the criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland to accept or reject a case based on its merits or demerits. It is the job of criminal lawyers in Baltimore MD to represent their clients and not to pass moral judgment. They put their experience online to defend their clients and it does not matter whether they are guilty or innocent.
The criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland can still have a strong defense despite the prosecution having a watertight case; they can still strike a plea bargain or get the charges reduced to misdemeanor from felony.
Do lawyers in Baltimore Maryland need to be licensed for a specialty in criminal defense?
Some criminal lawyers in Baltimore MD do possess specialty licenses but it is not mandatory. Any criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland admitted to the bar can practice in that particular jurisdiction. A bar admitted family lawyer can practice criminal law without any training or specialty license. Though, some criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland receive certification in disciplines like trial advocacy. In such cases, they may seek to license to improve their clientele. It may be noted that just because criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland do not have the official certification it does not mean they cannot defend your case. Most successful criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland have built their success over their experience than certification.
How do criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland help your case?
Depending on the type of case, legal advice is given. But criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland can take work on any misdemeanor or felony case and it would be wise to choose one with experience in your type of case. To start with criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland will discuss the case details and give you tips on how to face the consequences. They will also tell you how they can help you. Based on your first consultation you can decide on whether to choose them or not.
The criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland will start with the following:
- Interview the eyewitnesses
- Choose the witness for the trial
- Meet the prosecution and judge to discuss the lawsuit
- Conduct legal research on similar cases to build compelling evidence
- Choose a motion to dismiss your case before the trial
Incase, the prosecution has strong evidence, then the criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland will opt for plea bargaining or plead guilty. In any circumstances, they work towards giving a favorable plea deal that is best for their client.
Can I hire just any criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland?
Sure, you can hire any criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland, if it does not matter if you have to pay hefty fines, heavy insurance premium, go to prison, or miss being with your family. The answer is simple, the charges are serious and a little carelessness can leave you doomed for life. Therefore, it is important to choose the right criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland to get your normal life back.
Irrespective of whether it is a felony or misdemeanor conviction, it can end up ruining your life. Therefore, while picking criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland never make any mistake.
How much time do criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland spend on your case?
There are no hard and fast rules on the time spent on each case. Remember, no two cases are the same. The criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland take different durations to solve a case. A simple misdemeanor case may never go for trial and the criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland may not have to spend much time on the case. But complex cases like violent felonies, financial crimes take up much of their time as a lot of intricacies are weaved into the case. Some may require a heavy workload and others none at all. Consulting criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland from the Law Offices of SRIS, P.C. can give you an idea of how much time it may take for them to resolve your case. Again, it is a million-dollar question!
Things to consider while hiring criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland
Court experience: All lawyers do not go to court therefore it is important to hire criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland who have court experience giving you an edge when your case goes for trial.
Certification and experience: The defense is a broad subject and there are several criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland with specialization in different disciplines. Depending on your charges you need to choose certified and experienced criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland to handle your case. The penalties vary based on your charges. Since the stakes are high it is wise to choose criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland with years of experience in the bar.
Fees: Since no two cases are the same, not all criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland charge the same fees. During your initial consultation, discuss the fee structure with your criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland.
What are the different types of crimes?
The criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland specialize in different disciplines. Some may specialize in traffic violations, serious felony charges, DUI, domestic violence, etc. Some handle federal cases. Defending a traffic violation is far different from defending a domestic assault or white-collar crime. Before choosing a criminal lawyer in Baltimore Maryland, verify if it is wise to hand over the task to them.
What happens in a misdemeanor case?
Not all misdemeanor convictions carry fines some come with potential jail sentences for several years, while felony penalties can be as short as one year too. Do not take any offense lightly; speak to your criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland on your defense quickly. All this depends on where you live and the crime you committed. Some violations are treated as civil offenses than crimes, this includes most traffic violations and carrying marijuana less than 10 Gms. Such offenses carry a fine or citation.
In the case of a misdemeanor, there is a mandatory minimum penalty. The judge decides upon the penalty to be imposed after considering the crime and the background of the defendant. The criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland have a major role to play in influencing the judge through their legal expertise. The judges in Maryland are bound by complex sentencing worksheets and guidelines. Though the guidelines are just a formality, the judges are not legally bound to follow them.
Misdemeanor and jail sentence
Those sentenced for 1 year or less to incarceration will serve in the local jail unless the sentencing happened in Baltimore City or if the crime was committed while in prison. You may complete the sentence in the local jail or state prison if the sentencing is between 12 and 18 months. For a sentence of more than 18 months, the convict would serve in the state prison. If you are looking to reduce your sentencing, it is time you call the best criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland from the Law Offices of SRIS, P.C.
Your criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland will tell you about some of the misdemeanor sentences like:
- Use of weapon for assault during felony can lead to five years to 20 years in prison
- Child neglect comes with a fine of $5,000 and/or a maximum of five years
- Second-degree assault leads to 10 years and a fine of $2,500
- Property theft or service of value between $100 and $1,500 can lead to the jail of six months or a fine of $500 maximum or both. The sentence also includes the requirement to restore the property stolen.
- Cyberbullying leads to three years sentencing or $10,000 or both
- Disorderly conduct can lead to a fine of $500 and/or 60 days in jail
Since the sentencing can be unpredictable, contact only the right criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland to protect your interest.
How does prior conviction impact misdemeanor sentences?
If you have a prior conviction record then the penalties for the same crime become severe. So do not delay any further and contact criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland. The Maryland law offers a maximum penalty and a mandatory minimum sentence for a subsequent offense. For instance, if the DUI offense penalty is one year with $1,000 for the first offense, subsequent offenses can lead to a maximum penalty of two years and/or $2,000 along with a mandatory jail term of a minimum of five years, if the repeat offense is within five years of the previous offense.
Can my sentence be suspended or alternated?
In the state of Maryland all or part of the sentences can be suspended for imprisonment while placing the defendant on probation but with conditions. Some of the conditions may include alcohol or drug rehab or home detention. Need a reduction in your sentencing calls criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland as soon as possible.
What is the deadline to file misdemeanor charges?
The deadline for legal proceedings for misdemeanor lawsuit is defined in the statute of limitations. If you have any doubts contact the best criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland. In misdemeanor cases, the filing has to be done within one year for a misdemeanor but in certain circumstances there are exceptions. For instance, computer crimes come with three years of statute of limitations. If you are summoned for misdemeanor charges contact the skilled criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland at the Law Offices of SRIS, P.C.
If you are expecting a conviction for a crime, it is time you contact the best criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland from the Law Offices of SRIS, P.C. Only experienced criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland can determine your fate. Remember even a minor misdemeanor conviction can hurt your interest while looking for a job or home change. Only experienced criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland can find out more about grounds for dismissal or reduction of charges. They explore all the plea options and represent you throughout the case. Looking for someone familiar with the court system can give you a chance in surviving a misdemeanor charge without much damage and good criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland is your only chance.
What happens in a felony case?
Felony penalties are severe constituting death or jail sentence of more than a year. These are for serious crimes and courts handle them strictly. Some cases end even before the trial commences. Do not take a felony charge lightly, contact experienced criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland immediately.
Only the best criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland can help with the steps involved in felony case as it might vary from one lawsuit to another but the common procedures are listed below:
- Initiating a complaint: The prosecutor and the law enforcement office file a complaint before the magistrate. Sufficient evidence is produced to advocate the offense against the legislation. The magistrate on accepting the complaint issues an arrest warrant or summons the offender. Sometimes the offender is arrested without a warrant and produced before the magistrate. The law enforcement officer examines the witnesses and victims before the complaint is filed. The statement is reported to the prosecutor and at times the latter interviews the witnesses. If you have received a summon or arrest warrant, contact the Law Offices of SRIS, P.C. and their criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland can build a strong defense to protect your rights.
- After an arrest, the defendant is called for the first hearing before the magistrate either on the same day or at a date specified by them. During the first hearing, the witnesses are not presented. The defendant is briefed about their rights and the reason for the arrest is explained. Then the defendant is asked to arrange for criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland to defend them. The court may provide legal representation in case the defendant is unable to afford one. Then the court decides if the defendant can be released on bail. Most of the defendants are released on bail after the first hearing the defendant is released after paying money for guaranteeing to return for the next hearings or on conditions promising return for trial. The conditions include not contacting the witnesses. In rare cases, the defendant is refused bail and detained. It takes good criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland to get you released early.
- During the preliminary hearing, the probable cause for the offense is verified. The responsibility to prove the offense lies with the state of Maryland and the prosecutor has to support his/her findings. The assistance of criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland is vital at this stage. In most cases, the law enforcement officer presents the evidence for the probable case and in rare cases, the witness may be called to testify.
- A jury hearing is called for to examine the evidence. Their findings are not made public and only the prosecutor and the witnesses subpoenaed can meet the jurors. The grand jury charges are called indictment and if they decide against the prosecution of the case, they return a no true bill and no indictment is called for. The early you engage criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland the better in a criminal case.
- In an Arraignment, the judge announces the charges of the defendant mentioned in the indictment. The bail conditions are reviewed here. The witnesses are not called for the hearing and the date for the trial is set during the hearing. If you need bail do not waste time and contact the best criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland.
- The court calls to hear motions before going for trial. This includes motions like compel discovery, suppress evidence, or resolve the legal question. The witnesses are generally not present for the motion hearing. If required they will be called by the prosecution. Your criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland take care of the interactions with the prosecutions.
- The preparation process takes place before the trial commences, where the prosecution calls the defendant to the witness conference. It allows reviewing the witnesses. The criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland also prepare for the case during this period.
- Once the trial date is fixed the defendant will be notified through subpoena and failing to appear at the court could lead to serious consequences. The time and date of the trial will be mentioned along with specifications on when you need to be present. If you are not able to make it on the trial day, your criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland should inform the state attorney. It may be mentioned that trials can be postponed due to unforeseen reasons. At times the trial may be canceled if the defendant pleads guilty or if a plea bargain is struck. The trial can be postponed if earlier cases are pending at the court. The rescheduling will be discussed with the victim/witnesses before the new date is finalized by the lawyer’s office. The new date will be informed to the defendant. You or your criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland will be informed of the new date.
- The sentencing date is set by the judge. The judge prepares for the sentencing after the conviction. A pre-sentence investigation report is prepared by the probation office. The pros and cons are considered before the sentence is finalized. There are different alternatives available to the defendant. The defendant may be placed on probation or released under the supervision of the court for a year or imprisoned for a specific time or fine is levied or a combination of the above is imposed. Only qualified and experienced criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland can protect you from severe sentencing.
The felony trial process is cumbersome and time-consuming. Contact reputed firms like the Law Offices of SRIS, P.C. for furthering your case. The criminal lawyers in Baltimore Maryland have specialized skills in defending any type of criminal case. With their experience on your side, you can get relief from the felony penalty. C