DUI LAWYER ALEXANDRIA IN VIRGINIA
Road travel calls for non-diverted attention and increased focus. All Virginian drivers are expected to assume responsibility for protecting the safety of themselves and others around them. Drunken driving is considered to be the most common traffic offense. A DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA is likely to receive numerous requests for rendering legal services to accused drunken motoring offenders. Drunken driving can be referred to as the act of motoring under the influence of alcohol. A DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA handles drunken driving as a misdemeanor in major cases. But drunken motoring can also be prosecuted as a felony in several specific circumstances. The Law Offices of SRIS, P.C. is your best bet when it comes to handling both misdemeanor and felony drunken motoring accusations.
Drunken driving laws of Virginia
A DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA would describe drunken motoring as the act of operating a vehicle while being under the influence of booze or drugs. The Virginian drunken driving laws recognize specific limits to prevent drunken driving in Virginia.
A DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA is expected to be familiar with these limits. The limits are as follows:
- Drivers with blood alcohol levels that are higher than 0.08% are subsequently declared guilty of drunken driving. The acknowledged permissible blood alcohol level is lower for individuals, who are below the age of 21. In specific, minors with blood alcohol concentrations that are higher than 0.02% are therefrom prone to be accused of drunken motoring.
- Drivers, who are significantly intoxicated with drugs like cocaine, heroin, or any kind of addictive substance, are likely to be apprehended for intoxicated driving.
The officers, who detain drivers for drunken driving, are likely to perform breathalyzer tests on the latter. Drivers, who refuse to undergo these breathalyzer tests, are directly assumed to have been motoring under the influence of intoxicants. A refusal to undergo a breathalyzer test can also lead to the suspension of a motor license. Thus, the arrested individuals are expected to corporate with the arresting authorities. A DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA advises every individual to remain calm while facing arrest.
A misdemeanor drunken motoring conviction evolves into a felony under several circumstances. A DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA is entitled to consider the third intoxicated driving conviction of a criminal as a serious felony. Subsequent DUI accusations carry unique patterns of penalizations. A DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA is sure to be acquainted with the penalties adjudicated for subsequent similar offenses.
- First drunken driving conviction
A maximum fine of $250 is mandatory for first-time offenders. Under several circumstances, a DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA can also expect additional penalizations for the first-time perpetrators. Some of the commonly announced additional penalties include high fines, mandatory enrollment into rehabilitative programs, attending community services, etc. A DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA knows for a fact that the license of a first-time transgressor is likely to be suspended for a maximum of 12 months. A person with a revoked license incurs restricted motoring privileges. A DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA works towards reducing the severity of the penalizations discussed above.
If the offender was found to have a blood alcohol content that was equal to or higher than 0.15%, the judge additionally includes a mandatory 5-day jail sentence as a penalty (apart from the ones discussed above) for the former.
- Second drunken driving conviction
A second intoxication driving conviction results in a maximum fine of $500. The adjudged driving license suspension is made effective for a maximum of 3 years. A DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA aims to bring in a less severe set of penalties for the defendant. Favorable outcomes pour in only when a DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA keenly looks into every aspect of the case. Therefore, it is advisable to have an experienced DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA alongside, during these circumstances.
- Third drunken driving conviction
A DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA is expected to consider the third drunken driving accusation of a perpetrator as a felony of class 6. The maximum fine for this felonious offense is increased to $2500. The offenders are also expected to serve imprisonment for a maximum of 5 years. Additionally, the Department of Motor Vehicles renders judgments suspending the driving licenses of third-time offenders for indefinite periods. In extreme cases, a DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA can also expect the judges to deliver judgments canceling the motor licenses of the offender permanently.
A DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA is sure to be aware of the collateral consequences that follow a proven third-time drunken driving offense. Major collateral consequences include suspension or cancellation of certain privileges and civic rights. The felonious perpetrators are refrained from possessing firearms. In several cases, the felons are also restricted from casting votes at public elections. A DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA can help restore the deprived rights. An employer chooses employees only when the former ensures that the latter is free from criminal histories. A mere background check on the applicant can render answers to every query of an employer. Therefore, a prosecuted felon is prone to experience decreased employment opportunities. In several cases, the court may also order the seizure of the vehicle that was used by the criminal before being apprehended for drunken motoring. A DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA aims to reduce the effects of convictions on the personal and professional aspects of the offenders.
Tips to avoid drunken-driving conviction
- A DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA always recommends prevention over cure. It is easy and wise to avoid a crime than face the consequences of committing one. This piece of advice is majorly useful for a person with prior drunken-driving convictions since repeated offenders get penalized severely.
- A DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA would also recommend using responsible mediums of transport to keep away from committing driving crimes. For instance, people can always use public transport for transmission. A person can also use reliable taxi services. A DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA would also suggest carpooling that seems favorable for reducing environmental pollutions as well.
- Many offenders opt for self-representations to save money. But a DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA is capable of creating and using strategies that best defend the interests of each client. Therefore, it is prudent to seek effective legal representation from an affordable DUI lawyer in Alexandria VA in crucial circumstances.
The Law Offices of SRIS, P.C. should be your trusted associate when it comes to handling drunken driving cases.