Herndon Reckless Driving Lawyer
Many drivers may not be aware that traffic regulations in Virginia, particularly with regard to reckless driving, are among the strictest in the country. In Virginia, a reckless lawyer is highly recommended for driving a vehicle recklessly, because in Virginia, certain traffic offenses, which are considered minor traffic violations in some states, are treated fairly strictly. For example, reckless driving in Virginia is a crime with consequences similar to assault and battery charges or DUI charges. A class 1 misdemeanor criminal complaint for a traffic violation deserves the same level of proactive decision making as any other criminal complaint. Speak to an experienced Herndon criminal defense lawyer today to learn more about reckless driving charges.
Reckless driving in Herndon, Virginia
It is quite common for the city of Herndon, Virginia to charge reckless operation of a motor vehicle. The city of Herndon strictly enforces the driving laws for most commercial and residential zones and the speed limit is 25 mph in most cases. A zone of 25 mph means that the driver only has to drive 45 miles per hour to be charged with reckless operation of a motor vehicle. In addition to the multitude of zones at a speed of 25 miles per hour, the city of Herndon also has a miniature highway belt that runs around the city. This is known as the Herndon Parkway. In various locations, the Parkway is a divided road and in most locations a four-lane, divided road. However, due to the residential area on the Parkway, a speed limit zone of 35 or 40 miles per hour applies in most areas. Speeding is widespread on the Herndon Parkway, and drivers should be aware of this when traveling in the city of Herndon. In addition, the route 228 through Herndon has a significantly slower speed limit. When the route leaves the city, it is referred to as Centerville Road or Baron Cameron Avenue depending on the direction of travel.
What to expect
Due to the particular congestion of the streets in Herndon, drivers are often accused of being reckless, involved in an accident, having no right of way or having passed another vehicle illegally or performing other dangerous maneuvers. These reckless driving charges are not handled at the Fairfax County General District Court on Chain Bridge Road, but at the Town of Herndon Courthouse in historic downtown. On the online case management system for Fairfax County, an “HT” is displayed as a court session in Herndon cases. The city of Herndon is unique in that the courtroom is the same room used for local town meetings, including councils and school board meetings.
The role of a Herndon Reckless Driving Lawyer
Law enforcement decides whether or not you are accused of a recless driving crime. This discretion means that you can be charged suddenly, even though you have committed a minor move. If you have been charged, a reckless driving Herndon lawyer can work with you to analyze your case and prepare a defense. Contact our reckless driving Herndon attorneys today for a free initial consultation.
The following are the reckless driving statutes in Virginia that are commonly charged in Herndon:
- Va. Code §46.2-862(i) & (ii): Reckless Driving by Speed
- Va. Code § 46.2-861: Excessive Speed for the Conditions
- Va. Code § 46.2-852: Reckless – General Rule
- Va. Code § 46.2-864: Reckless – in Parking Lot
- Va. Code §46.2-859: Passing a School Bus
- Va. Code § 46.2-853: Improper Control/Faulty Brakes
- Va. Code § 46.2-855: Driving with Impaired Control/View Because of Passengers
- Va. Code § 46.2-854: Passing on a Curve
- Va. Code §46.2-856: Passing Two Vehicles Abreast
- Va. Code § 46.2-857: Driving Two Abreast in a Single Lane
- Va. Code § 46.2-858: Passing at a Railroad or Pedestrian Crossing
- Va. Code § 46.2-860: Failing to Signal
- Va. Code § 46.2-863: Failure to Yield
- Va. Code § 46.2-865: Reckless Driving by Racing
- Va. Code § 46.2-868(B): Reckless Driving when Suspended and Causes Death C