Maryland Child Support Frequently Asked Questions Montgomery Attorney

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on google

How is child support, in Maryland, calculated?

Child support is created to make sure that the child is receiving the same parental income that he or she would have gotten from married parents that are living under the same roof. It is calculated from the monthly gross of each parent, but still taking in consideration the income of both parents. The court considers factors such as the number of children in the family, the fees of health insurance for each child, the parental schedule of each parent, fees of childcare and special medical payments.

What if the parent paying child support, deliberately quits his or her job to avoid paying child support?

If one parent purposely stops working to escape the child support payments, the court will consider the parent to be “voluntary impoverished” and the court if Maryland will treat the parent as if he or she is still earning an income and it will be required of the parent to pay his or her child support payments as usual.

Can a noncustodial parent pay child support if he or she is in jail?

Usually, the imprisoned parent will request the court to reduce the child support payment or eliminate it entirely until he or she is out of jail. Nevertheless, the parent can pay child support from assets such as property or income from an outside source.

Can a parent continue to visit his or her child if they have stopped paying child support?

The parent must keep following the visitation schedule that had been issued by the court, since child support is not connected to visitation.

How long does child support last in the state of Maryland?

A parent is obligated by the court of Maryland to pay child support until his or her child passes the age of 18. The parent must keep paying child support as long as the child is a full-time school student and resides with the parent receiving the child support payments. However, a parent must keep paying child support even after the child passes the age of 18 for reasons such as if:

  • The child is mentally or physically disabled and that the disability occurred from before the child passes the age of 18.
  • The child is unable to live independently and isn’t financially stable.

Nevertheless, an agreement can be made between the parent and the child such as the parent may pay the child’s college fees, if of course, the parent is financially capable to do so.

What if the parent is unable to afford to pay child support?

If a parent is unable to pay the requested amount of child support, the parent may request the court of the state of Maryland to either reduce the amount that should be paid or to waive the required fees of child support completely.

Does a parent have to pay child support if the parents have joint custody?

Yes, it is important that both parents support their child’s welfare as well as the child’s financial stability.

If you need a Maryland Child Support lawyer to help you with your Child Support case in Maryland, call us at 888-437-7747. Our Maryland Child Support attorneys can help you.

Close Menu