Motion to Terminate Child Support In Maryland Montgomery Lawyer

Child support is defined as a payment done by a parent to the other because of a divorce, or not marrying at all. The parent obligated to pay child support is usually the one that does not have primary (or soul) custody of the minor. Meaning that the guardian which is not living or raising the children is the one entitled to pay a certain amount of money for his or her minor’s care. However, in joint custody situations, the parent that legally spends the least amount of time with the minor is the one entitled to pay minor support in Maryland. The juvenile must be genetic or adopted, therefore a stepparent doesn’t need to pay juvenile maintenance unless the minor was legally adopted by the stepparent.

Most parents are confused by juvenile maintenance laws because of minor variations in the law from state to state. Depending on where you reside, juvenile maintenance can end at age 18 or 21. Juvenile maintenance can end when your minor reaches a determined age or moment, or legal action must be taken you to end your responsibility. Maryland’s laws are slightly more confusing than others due to the attempted 2011 legislation and left some guardians unsure of what the present rules are.

Maryland law states that a parent must pay juvenile maintenance until the minor reaches the age of 18. If the minor becomes 18 years old after graduation from high school, the parent is not required to continue the payment of the support. However, if he or she turns 18 during the last high school year, the parent must pay maintenance until the child is 19 or graduates, depending on which occurs first. If the child quits school after turning 18, juvenile maintenance terminates. Courts in Maryland allow from 2012 to continue minor juvenile maintenance even after the emancipation of the child, or contribution to college fees, but parents must agree to specific terms in an agreement for marital settlement.

If a child is disabled, so is unable to support him or herself, the parent’s obligation for living expenses is extended beyond age 19 or high school graduation. In contrast, support could end before age 19 or graduation. For example, if the child joins the military before he or she graduates, the parent is not obliged to pay support anymore.

Termination of support after the child emancipates is vague in Maryland laws. In the state of Maryland, the parent obligated to pay juvenile maintenance must pay through state services. When your son or daughter emancipates, you must inform the state that you are no longer required to pay for juvenile maintenance. A motion must be filed with a court to legally determine if your child is emancipated if your former spouse objects. However, no more actions are required by you if your ex-partner does not disagree. If a parent is supporting more than one child, he or she must file a motion to reduce payment of the juvenile maintenance if one of them emancipates. Reduction of payment is likely to happen, but you must ask for payment recalculation based on the number of children remaining for support.

If you need a Maryland Child Support lawyer to help you with your juvenile maintenance case in Maryland, call us at 888-437-7747. Our Maryland Child Support attorneys can help you. C

Scroll to Top