Traffic Lawyer Spotsylvania County VA
According to the Virginia Motor Vehicle Code, the traffic offenses in Spotsylvania County may be classified as a felony, a misdemeanor, or a traffic infraction. While generally, the traffic tickets amount to infractions, some cases may also come within the purview of criminal misdemeanors. But the most serious of offenses are classified as felonies in Spotsylvania.
In Spotsylvania reckless driving, DUI, driving on a suspended or revoked driver’s license are misdemeanors, and reckless driving speeding law are a criminal misdemeanor.
What are the traffic infractions in Spotsylvania County?
According to Title 46.2 of the Virginia code, traffic infractions include:
- Failing to signal
- Ignoring traffic lights
- Not following right-of-way laws
Got a Reckless Driving Ticket in Spotsylvania County?
Reckless driving speeding ticket in Spotsylvania County is a serious offense and you will need a Spotsylvania traffic lawyer to defend you. You will need the services of an experienced Spotsylvania traffic lawyer dealing specifically in traffic violation cases. Not all traffic ticket cases are the same so it is impossible to tell what the outcome will be.
Penalties for Reckless Driving in Spotsylvania County
- Reckless Driving in Virginia is considered a Class One Misdemeanor.
- Reckless Driving is a Class One Misdemeanor is punishable by up to 12 months in jail.
- Reckless Driving can be fined up to $2500. (§ 18.2-11. Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor)
- Reckless Driving can result in a 6-month suspension of your Drivers License.
- Reckless Driving convictions will add 6 DMV demerit points to your license.
Punishment for a Class 1 Misdemeanor in Virginia
§ 18.2-11. Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor.
The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:
(a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.
(b) For Class 2 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than six months and a fine of not more than $1,000, either or both.
(c) For Class 3 misdemeanors, a fine of not more than $500.
(d) For Class 4 misdemeanors, a fine of not more than $250.
Why do you need a Spotsylvania County attorney?
When charged with traffic violations in Spotsylvania County, your stress levels will certainly shoot up considering the punishments involved and the financial troubles. Therefore, reach out to an experienced Spotsylvania attorney right now!
What Are Some Of The Commonly Charged Traffic Tickets in Spotsylvania County Virginia?
Traffic tickets are also known as traffic infractions in Spotsylvania County, Virginia. They may be considered moving violations, which usually result in demerit points against your license, or non-moving violations, which typically result in fines only. Either way, the conviction is likely to be entered on your driving record. When you get a traffic ticket in Spotsylvania County, Virginia, the officer typically gives you a Virginia Uniform Summons. When you get a simple traffic infraction, you can usually prepay the fines and you do not have to go to Spotsylvania County traffic court.
VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: If you prepay a traffic ticket, this will have the effect of a guilty plea and a conviction will be recorded against you.
On a Virginia driving record, demerit points will remain for two years and the record of the offense will stay on your driving record anywhere from 3 to 11 years, depending on the offense. In addition, your driver’s license could get suspended if you pay your fines late or accumulate too many demerit points.
Common traffic infractions include:
- Driving with a taillight or headlight that does not work
- Failing to come to a complete stop at a red light before turning right
- Running a red light
- Driving too close to a vehicle
- Improper turn
- Improper passing
- Failing to yield
- Failing to obey a highway sign or lane marking
- Making an illegal U-turn
Virginia Misdemeanor Traffic Offenses
Some traffic tickets are considered misdemeanors in Spotsylvania County, Virginia. If you are convicted, you face more serious penalties, will have a permanent criminal record, and be assessed demerit points on your driver’s record.
Some common traffic violations that fall into this category include:
- Driving on a suspended license. This is a Class 1 misdemeanor—the most serious in Virginia. The penalties include up to one year in jail, fines of up to $2,500, and a suspension of your license for 90 days. Speak to a Driving On A Suspended License Lawyer today – Call 888-437-7747
- Driving on a revoked license. This is also a Class 1 misdemeanor with similar sentences to driving on a suspended license. However, a third offense would be a Class 6 felony. In addition, your driver’s license would be revoked—more serious than having it suspended with additional requirements for it to be reinstated. Speak to a Driving On A Revoked License Lawyer today – Call 888-437-7747
- Driving Without A License. Virginia law exempts certain people. If you are a non-resident, a new Virginia resident, a military service member or their spouse, you may have additional technical legal defenses. Speak to a Driving Without A License Lawyer today – Call 888-437-7747
If you’ve been charged with driving without a license in Virginia, don’t make the common mistake of trying to go it alone without an experienced Spotsylvania Virginia traffic lawyer. You need an aggressive and knowledgeable Spotsylvania Virginia traffic attorney who will fight for your rights and, where appropriate, negotiate a favorable outcome. Let us be your legal advocate.
§ 46.2-300. Driving without license prohibited
No person, except those expressly exempted in §§ 46.2-303 through 46.2-308, shall drive any motor vehicle on any highway in the Commonwealth until such person has applied for a driver’s license, as provided in this article, satisfactorily passed the examination required by § 46.2-325, and obtained a driver’s license, nor unless the license is valid.
A violation of this section is a Class 2 misdemeanor. A second or subsequent violation of this section is a Class 1 misdemeanor.
Upon conviction under this section, the court may suspend the person’s privilege to drive for a period not to exceed 90 days.
DUI. A first offense DUI charge is a Class 1 misdemeanor. The penalties can include a fine of between $250 and $2,500, jail sentence of up to one year, revocation of your license for one year, and more. Speak to a DUI Lawyer today – Call 888-437-7747.
Insurance and Security Clearance Ramifications
In addition to the actual penalties imposed by a court, you should consider the effect a conviction will have on your motor vehicle insurance rates. Insurance companies use their own point system and may raise your rates or refuse to renew your policy, even for a conviction for a single offense. If an insurance company raises your rates, this will usually be for a term of three years. These costs add up.
If you possess a government security clearance, this may also be affected by a conviction for a motor vehicle related charge, especially for offenses involving drugs or alcohol, or those for which you could be jailed.
Because so many people travel through Spotsylvania County, law enforcement is extremely vigilant and target high speed reckless driving, DUI and other moving violations offenses. So if you have been charged with a Spotsylvania high speed reckless driving offense, Spotsylvania DUI or Spotsylvania moving violation citation, call and speak to a Law Offices Of SRIS, P.C. Spotsylvania lawyer for real answers and options. 888-437-7747.
If you have received a traffic citation and you want to meet with a traffic lawyer, you can meet with a Spotsylvania traffic lawyer at our Fairfax office. Call today to schedule an appointment and speak with a Law Offices Of SRIS, P.C. traffic lawyer.
Please understand that prosecutors aggressively prosecute traffic violations. The judges in General District Court are not at all averse to sentencing people to jail on reckless driving cases and DUI. So if you have received a high speed reckless driving charge in Spotsylvania County or a DUI in Spotsylvania County, call our office immediately to secure a skilled lawyer representation. Call today 888-437-7747.
Concerned about a potential driver’s license suspension or revocation impacting your daily life?
Are you worried about the possibility of your driver’s license being suspended or revoked and how it could severely disrupt your daily life in Spotsylvania, VA? At The Law Offices of SRIS, P.C., our experienced traffic lawyer Spotsylvania VA understands the importance of maintaining your driving privileges, and we’re here to provide the expert legal assistance you need.
A driver’s license suspension or revocation can have far-reaching consequences, affecting your ability to commute to work, run errands, and fulfill your daily responsibilities. Allow us to highlight how we can help you navigate this challenging situation:
- License Suspension Mitigation: Our professional Traffic Lawyer Spotsylvania VA will work tirelessly to minimize the risk of a license suspension or negotiate for a reduced suspension period. We will explore any available legal options and leverage our experience to present a strong case in your favor.
- License Revocation Defense: We will mount a vigorous defense on your behalf if your driver’s license risks being revoked. Our attorneys will scrutinize the evidence, challenge any procedural errors, and present compelling arguments to protect your driving privileges.
- Driver’s License Restoration: If your driver’s license has already been suspended or revoked in Spotsylvania, VA, our personalized attorneys will assist you in the restoration process. We will guide you through the necessary steps, advocate on your behalf, and strive to reinstate your driving privileges immediately.
- Minimizing Consequences: We understand that a driver’s license suspension or revocation can have ripple effects on various areas of your life. Our Traffic Lawyer Spotsylvania VA will work diligently to minimize the consequences, such as potential job loss, difficulty attending school, or challenges in meeting family obligations. We will fight for a resolution that allows you to move forward with minimal disruption.
- Alternative Solutions: In some cases, we can explore alternative solutions to a license suspension or revocation. This could include seeking a restricted license, which allows limited driving privileges for work or essential purposes. Our goal is to find the best possible solution for your case.
- Peace of Mind: Facing a potential driver’s license suspension or revocation can be highly stressful. By entrusting your case to The Law Offices of SRIS, P.C., you can gain peace of mind knowing that a dedicated team of professionals is fighting to protect your driving privileges and minimize the impact on your daily life.
Don’t let the fear of a suspended or revoked driver’s license disrupt your life in Spotsylvania, VA. Contact The Law Offices of SRIS, P.C. today for a confidential consultation. Our experienced Traffic Lawyer Spotsylvania VA will give you the professional representation you deserve and work tirelessly to safeguard your driving privileges. Trust us to navigate the legal complexities while you focus on resuming your routine with confidence.
Spotsylvania Traffic Lawyer | Traffic Lawyer Spotsylvania VA
Traffic Lawyer Spotsylvania VA
Virginia is one of the states where traffic laws are taken very seriously. In some states, you can get away with just a warning for simple traffic infractions. Still, this isn’t possible in Virginia because even if you committed the smallest traffic infraction, you would get a ticket. In Virginia, traffic violations are classified into infractions, misdemeanors, and felonies. Traffic infractions only result in demerit points and fines. While misdemeanor and felony both include suspension of driving license, demerit points added to your record, fines, jail time, and more. If you ever get charged with a traffic violation, contact a Spotsylvania traffic lawyer from The Law Offices of SRIS.P.C., and they will help you resolve your charges.
Traffic Violations and Their Demerit Points:
There are numerous traffic violations, each with its own charge. Here is a list of traffic violations and their respective charges:
Traffic Infractions with 3 to 4 Demerit Points:
- Running a red light
- Improper lane change and U-turn
- Improper signaling
- Stopping in the middle of a highway
- Following too closely
- Driving with a broken headlight or taillight
- Improper turn and passing
- Failure to completely stop at a red light before turning right
- Texting while driving
- Failure to obey highway road signs
- Failure to move right and stop until an emergency vehicle passes
Misdemeanor Charges with 6 Demerit Points:
- Driving on a suspended license
- Driving on a revoked license
- Driving without a license
- Driving over 20 mph of the speed limit
- Driving more than 85 mph regardless of the speed limit
- Passing an emergency vehicle or a stopped school bus
- Hit and Run
Felony Charges with 6 Demerit Points:
- Voluntary Manslaughter
- Involuntary Manslaughter
- Third DUI
Why is only the Third DUI considered a felony?
Normally, when a driver gets charged with DUI for the first time he will be charged with a fine of at least $250, revocation of license for one year, and sometimes jail time of up to one year. For second-time offenders, the mandatory fine of up to $500, license revocation for three years, and a mandatory imprisonment of 10 to 20 days based on the previous DUI. However, things are different for the third DUI charge within ten years of the previous two DUIs. The third DUI is charged as a class 6 felony instead of a misdemeanor. It carries penalties such as a fine with a minimum of $1000, an indefinite license suspension, and a mandatory jail sentence of 6 months if it is within five years of the previous DUI, or a jail sentence of 90 days if it is within ten years of the previous DUI. The sentence can go up to five years.
Why Hire a Traffic Lawyer Spotsylvania, VA?
If you are charged with traffic violations in Spotsylvania, hiring a local lawyer will bring you many benefits. Local lawyers are familiar with the personality of the judge, prosecutor, and others involved in the case. With this knowledge, they can provide valuable advice on how to proceed with the case. You can choose a path that you think will lead to reduction or dismiss of the charges.
Spotsylvania General District Court
15th Judicial District of Virginia
Ms Kyra Lynn Bullock
Phone: (540) 507-7680
Clerk’s Office Hours
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
P. O. Box 339
9111 Courthouse Road
Judicial Center, 1st Floor
Spotsylvania, VA 22553-0339
Mon., Tues., & Thurs., 8:30 a.m.
Mon. & Fri., 9:00 a.m.
Tues. & Thurs., 9:30 a.m.
1st & 3rd Wed., 8:30 a.m.
Warrants in debt & detinue, garnishments,
2nd & 4th Wed., 8:30 a.m.
Set by Judge
1st & 3rd Wed., 1:00 p.m.
Mon., Tues., 3rd Wed., Thurs., & Fri.,10:30 a.m.
Mon., Tues., 3rd Wed., Thurs. & Fri., 10:30 a.m.
Spotsylvania General District Court
First continuance granted by Clerk with consent of all parties; criminal with consent of Commonwealth’s Attorney; subsequent continuances granted by Judge. Continuances more than 90 days from offense date granted by Judge only.