Being charged with Virginia Criminal Attorneys
Being charged with criminal offenses can have a life-altering impact on the accused as well as the family members closely associated with them. Besides being incarcerated, a conviction can end up tarnishing your life forever. Heavy penalty, unemployment, and losing the chance to live a reputed life in society, are a few of the major repercussions associated with a severe conviction.
In order to avoid facing such harsh punishment, consult the Virginia criminal defense attorney at The Law Offices of SRIS, P.C. Our Virginia criminal defense attorney will take every step to have the charges reversed or the penalties reduced, whichever suits the situation best. DUI charges, larceny, reckless driving, assault, etc – whatever the kind of charge be, our Virginia criminal defense attorney will help you come out with the best possible outcomes.
Virginia Criminal Defense Attorneys
What Should You Do After Being Charged With a Crime?
- Stay Silent Until the Virginia Criminal Defense Attorney Arrives
- The very first thing that you must keep in mind when charged with an offense is to avoid giving any kind of written or verbal statement of the incident to the law enforcement officer unless advised by your Virginia criminal defense attorney. Your innocent statement could be used against you in court and even if what you state might be 100% true, consult with Virginia criminal defense attorney before speaking to an officer.
- Be Polite
- Exercising your right to stay silent doesn’t mean you must treat the law officers with disregard. Try to remain calm and politely let the officers know that you wish to speak only if you are allowed to contact Virginia criminal defense attorney. You might be 100% confident about your innocence but one angry action could get you arrested right away. Hence, maintain your disposition by all means.
- Inquire about Your Charges
- Sometimes, you may not be aware of the exact charges imposed on you. It is always best to ask the officers to either read out the charges to you or verbally explain the accusations being made. Understanding and getting to know the charges in detail will allow you effectively defend those charges. If you have a problem understanding, request Virginia criminal defense attorney to investigate on your behalf
- Contact Virginia criminal defense attorney
- Once you get a clear idea of what the charges are, request to call Virginia criminal defense attorney. Emphasize the fact that you wouldn’t answer their queries unless you are allowed to make a call to Virginia criminal defense attorney. If you haven’t hired a Virginia criminal defense attorney yet, contact your family members to hire a lawyer at the earliest.
- Never Discuss it Openly
Never discuss the nature of your crime with anyone else other than Virginia criminal defense attorney. An attempt to release your mental stress can turn against you. The information you give could be used to get you convicted. Whether it be a witness about the incident or the real details of your involvement, speak to no one other than your personal Virginia criminal defense attorney.
- Note Down the Details
If you were involved in a road accident, make sure to take enough pictures of the wreck caused. Noting down the contact details of witnesses present during the occurrence of the incident would be better. Note down every minute detail possible. Also, make a note of how you were treated during the initial investigation. All of these details help Virginia criminal defense attorney prepare a strong case.
What Happens Immediately after You are Charged?
Even before the guilt is proven, a formal allegation of the offense will be documented against you. Here are 3 different ways by which you will be notified about the charges;
- Notice to Make an Appearance
The police will immediately issue a notice to appear in the magistrate court. This notice will usually summarize the offense without mentioning the particulars of the crime. You must contact an experienced Virginia criminal defense attorney the moment you receive the notice enlisting the charges.
- Service of a Summons & Complaint
The service of Summons and Complaints is a process that forces the defendant to appear in court and face the lawsuit. You must appear in court only along with Virginia criminal defense attorney. Facing the charges in court would be difficult to handle without proper legal representation.
- Immediate Arrest
If the offense is well-established, the police will conduct an immediate arrest. Hence, get in touch with a Virginia criminal defense attorney the moment you suspect you might be charged or brought under investigation.
Offenses are classified into two – Summary and Indictable Offense. Summary offenses are usually minor charges that involve traffic infractions, disrespectful conduct, etc. But Indictable offenses are quite serious and involve crimes such as murder, rape, and planned assault. Whatever the kind of crime be, you should hire a diligent and experienced Virginia criminal defense attorney like the ones at The Law Offices of SRIS, P.C.
Benefits of Hiring a Virginia criminal defense attorney:
A conviction can lead to harsh penalties and without legal support from an experienced Virginia criminal defense attorney, getting rid of charges can be pretty exhausting. Even a misdemeanor could end up having you jailed for a certain period.
Here are a few benefits of hiring a Virginia criminal defense attorney.
- Better Understanding of The Criminal Justice System
An experient Virginia defense attorney will be well-acquainted with the local courts as well as the criminal justice system. From arrest to verdict, you will be confronted with numerous procedures. Having a Virginia criminal defense attorney by your side will be beneficial at such moments since they will not only handle the procedures on your behalf but will also advise you about the best course of action to take.
- Virginia Criminal Defense Attorney Knows When to Plead Guilty
An extremely knowledgeable Virginia criminal defense attorney will know whether pleading guilty will be the right option for you or not. Sometimes pleading guilty is better than getting caught while trying to hide your guilt. If you are proven guilty by the court, you may have to face consequences that will not only harm your current reputation and wellbeing but will also ruin your future to a great extent. But, if you plead guilty right from the beginning, you can expect to have your penalties reduced by a certain degree.
- Prepare a Strong Defense
A reliable Virginia criminal defense attorney will start working on your case the moment you hire them. Fighting against your charges in court would mean presenting solid evidence to prove your innocence. An extremely efficient Virginia criminal defense attorney will perform a thorough investigation of your case and will craft a strong defense on your behalf.
- Virginia Criminal Defense Attorney will Help Negotiate
If the Virginia criminal defense attorney realizes that a conviction is inevitable, they will put all their negotiation skills into use. A good Virginia criminal defense attorney will always aim to obtain the best possible results for his clients. Hence, if a conviction is obvious, they will try to negotiate and have the penalties reduced.
If you are facing charges for a criminal offense, connect our skilled Virginia defense attorney immediately. Every delayed second would take you a step closer to getting convicted. Hence call our Virginia criminal defense attorney and schedule a consultation right away.