DUI Lawyer Rockingham Virginia
The Commonwealth of Virginia sees a drunken driving violation as a criminal offense. Nonetheless, the Virginia Courts register many DUI violations daily, and some even carry severe penalties. This page focuses on the consequences of driving under the influence (DUI) of intoxicants like alcohol or recreational drugs.
A brief on drunken driving
Individuals are charged with DUI if they are found to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs while operating a vehicle. The permissible blood alcohol concentration (BAC) in Virginia is below 0.08%. Therefore, the severity of the consequences of a DUI conviction solely relies on the BAC at the time of arrest and whether it is a first offense or a repeated offense. If you are accused of DUI, consult our lawyer Rockingham, VA, to know the facts on what is in store legally after a DUI arrest. Reach out to The Law Offices of SRIS. P.C., to contact our competent DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA, for assistance.
Consequences of a DUI conviction
A DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA, navigates the legal process step by step after a drunken driving charge is slapped on our clients.
Those arrested for intoxicated driving for the first time are bound to face the following consequences.
- A maximum fine of $2500.
- Jail sentences for a maximum of 12 months.
- Driving license suspension for a maximum of 12 months.
If found guilty of drunken driving for the second time, the penalties are as follows:
- A maximum fine of $2500.
- Jail sentence for a maximum of 12 months.
- Suspension of the driving license for a maximum of three years.
If the transgressors are found guilty of driving under the influence of intoxicants for the third time, they are expected to receive the following punishments.
- A maximum fine of $2500.
- Imprisonment for a maximum of 60 months.
- Permanent cancellation of the driving license.
A DUI conviction does not just bring legal aftermaths but also life-changing consequences. The convicted can find it challenging to acquire jobs, college/school admissions, high insurance premiums, and a loss of reputation in society. However, the guidance of an experienced DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA, can help protect you from severe penalties.
A first DUI conviction
Drivers arrested for DUI for the first time are entitled to be tried for a misdemeanor of class 1.
The hired DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA, should be able to protect the alleged client from incurring the following consequences:
- A mandatory fine of $2500, additional charges for court fees, and compensating materialistic damages (if any)
- 12-month jail sentence
- Suspension of driving privileges for a maximum of 1 year
- The court could order the perpetrators to mandatorily attend rehabilitation programs for recovering from alcohol addiction or substance abuse.
The court could also instruct the convicted drivers to install ignition interlock devices in their vehicles. Upon installation, the driver should blow into the device before every ignition. If the alcohol content in the breath exceeds Virginia’s permissible limit, the vehicle does not start or ignite.
Our DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA, is well equipped to deal with additional challenges under particular circumstances, like:
- When the accused driver is a minor
- When the registered BAC at the time of arrest was significantly higher than the permissible limits.
While representing an offender, our DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA, first educates the client on the inflicted charges. Secondly, the hired DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA, would elaborate on the potential consequences that the transgressor might face upon being found guilty of drunken driving. Finally, in most cases, a DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA, will assist the clients in contesting the charges registered by the prosecution. But under several circumstances, the DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA, could negotiate with the prosecutor through a plea bargain to reduce or dismiss the charges.
A second DUI conviction
Those found guilty of drunken driving for the second time are tried for a misdemeanor of class 1. In this case, our DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA, produces a strong defense on behalf of the perpetrator to protect them from the following penalties.
- A maximum fine of $2500 and a 12-month jail sentence.
- Suspension of driving privileges for a maximum of 36 months.
- Mandatory enrollment in rehabilitation programs and compulsory installation of ignition interlock machines.
Similar to the case of a first drunken driving conviction, a DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA, is likely to face increased challenges when obliged to represent a minor or drivers arrested for driving with a high BAC. Only a long-standing DUI lawyer, Rockingham, VA, has the experience and knowledge to handle DUI allegations professionally. Approach The Law Offices of SRIS. P.C., and sign up with our DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA, to protect your driving privileges.
A third DUI conviction
A DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA, is familiar with the fact that a third DUI conviction falls under felony class 6. Drivers proven guilty of a felony have to face punishments like fines, imprisonment, license cancellation, etc. Call our DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA, today!
A helpful guide to hiring the right DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA
Here are a few tips for locating and hiring the right DUI lawyer in Rockingham, VA.
- The DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA, should be a member of several institutions, like the National College for DUI Defense.
- The DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA, should also be a member of the associations created and recognized for DUI lawyers.
- The DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA, should have the necessary training and qualifications for representing DUI offenders. A regular DUI lawyer Rockingham VA will not be beneficial in these cases since the defendant would require the assistance of a professional with thorough knowledge of the state DUI laws.
- Accused individuals should necessarily look into the track record of the DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA. Only a DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA, who has effectively settled similar DUI lawsuits before, can be helpful in these scenarios.
- Check the ratings and reviews posted by the previous clients of the DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA.
- Many attorneys provide cost-free initial consultations. Though these free consultations are like a trailer, signing up with the DUI lawyer Rockingham, VA, is critical to getting into the defense mode quickly.
Save time. Call our DUI lawyer in Rockingham, VA, now to protect your freedom. You require competent and experienced legal representation if you have been accused of a DUI (driving under the influence) offense to defend your rights and fight for your freedom.
Our group of zealous DUI lawyer Rockingham VA is here to offer you the knowledgeable counsel and tenacious defense tactics required to secure an optimal result for your case.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is the legal blood alcohol concentration (BAC) limit for DUI in Rockingham, VA?
In Rockingham, VA, it is illegal to drive with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08% or higher. However, for drivers under 21, the BAC limit is lower at 0.02%.
What are the potential penalties for a DUI conviction in Rockingham, VA?
The penalties for a DUI conviction vary based on factors such as your BAC level, prior convictions, and aggravating circumstances. Fines, license suspensions, required alcohol education courses, probation, and possibly imprisonment are some possible punishments.
Can I fight my DUI charges?
Absolutely. Even if you have been charged with a DUI, it does not mean that you are automatically guilty. Various defense strategies can be employed to challenge the charges against you, including questioning the accuracy of a breathalyzer or field sobriety tests, challenging the legality of the traffic stop, or arguing procedural errors in the arrest process.
How can a DUI lawyer Rockingham VA assist me?
A knowledgeable Rockingham DUI VA can examine the particulars of your case, spot any potential errors or violations of your rights, and create an effective defense plan. They will advocate for you in court, attempt to work out the bargaining process or lesser punishment, and give you direction and assistance all the way through the legal process.
Don’t delay contacting an attorney if you are charged with DUI in Rockingham, Virginia. The Law Offices of SRIS. P.C., are here to defend your rights and safeguard your future. You can feel confident knowing you will get excellent legal counsel from our experienced DUI lawyer Rockingham VA. To arrange a consultation and begin building a solid defense, get in touch with us right away.