Traffic Lawyer Herndon, VA
Herndon, Virginia traffic law violators should be aware that certain traffic offenses may have a severe impact on their lives. The penalties for these traffic offenses are severe and may lead to imprisonment and suspension of their driving license in Virginia.
There are several types of serious traffic violations in Virginia and when charged with these offenses you need to know what exactly the penalties you face are if convicted.
If convicted of reckless driving in Herndon Virginia, the conviction will stay on your record for 11 years. With this being the reality, it is important to get in touch with a skilled Herndon traffic lawyer to deal with the traffic ticket to mitigate the punishment.
Let’s check out the penalties for reckless driving in Herndon, Virginia
- Reckless Driving in Virginia is considered a Class One Misdemeanor.
- It is a Class One Misdemeanor which is punishable by up to 12 months in jail.
- For reckless driving, you can be fined up to $2500, according to § 18.2-11. Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor.
- Your driving license can be suspended for a period of up to 6 months.
- Reckless Driving convictions will add 6 DMV demerit points to your license.
Difference between reckless driving and speeding in Virginia
There is a difference between reckless driving and speeding in Virginia. While reckless driving in Virginia will require your presence in the court, for speeding you have the right to prepay your fine. However, you should at least discuss your case with a VA traffic lawyer. If you have recieved a reckless driving ticket in Herndon, Virginia, it is important that you hire a skilled Herndon traffic lawyer to deal with your reckless driving case. An experienced Herndon traffic lawyer will work aggressively to your reckless driving ticket dismissed or have the charges reduced.
Herndon VA Reckless Driving Lawyers
With the law making that a reckless driving conviction will result in a criminal record of a class 1 misdemeanor, you should speak to the Herndon, VA traffic lawyers of the Law Offices Of SRIS, P.C. to deal with your reckless operation of a motor vehicle case. The general presumption is that a traffic ticket is not that serious and therefore you do not need a traffic lawyer, but be warned that certain traffic ticket convictions can seriously impact your life. Therefore, it is necessary to engage a Herndon, Virginia traffic lawyer if you got a traffic lawyer in Herndon, VA. Further, a Herndon traffic lawyer can usually get your personal appearance waived if you have been charged with a reckless in Herndon, VA.
Commonly Charged Traffic Tickets in Herndon, Virginia
If you get a traffic ticket in Herndon, Virginia, you are issued the Virginia uniform summons by the Herndon police officer. The penalties often result in demerit points on your Virginia driving record and fines at the very least. When you get a simple Virginia traffic ticket, you can prepay the fines and are not required to go to the court in person.
A moving violation can result in the offense staying on your driving record ranging from 3 to 11 years, depending on the traffic offense.
In cases where the fines are paid late or too many demerit points are accumulated, the driving license can be suspended.
Common traffic infractions or tickets in Herndon, Virginia include:
- Herndon Speeding Ticket
- Driving with a taillight or headlight that does not work
- Failing to come to a complete stop at a red light before turning right
- Herndon Running a red light ticket.
- Driving too close to a vehicle
- Improper turn
- Herndon Improper passing ticket
- Herndon Failing to yield ticket
- Failing to obey a highway sign or lane marking
- Herndon Making an illegal U-turn ticket.
Virginia Misdemeanor Traffic Offenses
Some traffic tickets are considered misdemeanors in Virginia. If convicted, it will leave you with a permanent criminal record, and be assessed demerit points on your driver’s record. Herndon police officers aggressively enforce the traffic laws in Herndon, Virginia. That is why it is critical to hire an experienced traffic lawyer in VA to defend you.
Some common traffic violations that fall into this category include:
- Driving on a suspended license. This is a Class 1 misdemeanor and the most severe of traffic offenses in Virginia. The penalties include up to one year in jail, fines of up to $2,500, and a suspension of your license for 90 days. Speak to a Herndon driving on suspended license lawyer.
- Driving on a revoked license. This is also a Class 1 misdemeanor with similar sentences to driving on a suspended license. However, a third offense would be a Class 6 felony. In addition, your driver’s license would be revoked—more serious than having it suspended with additional requirements for it to be reinstated. Speak to a Herndon driving on a revoked license lawyer today.
- Driving Without License. Virginia law exempts certain people. If you are a non-resident, a new Virginia resident, a military service member or their spouse, there are some technical legal defenses. Get in touch with a Herndon traffic lawyer to help you.
When charged with driving without a license in Herndon, Virginia, never try to fight it out in the court all by yourself. Remember that you need an aggressive and skilled Herndon, Virginia traffic lawyer who will fight for your rights and, where appropriate, negotiate a favorable outcome.
§ 46.2-300. Driving without license prohibited
No person, except those expressly exempted in VA §§ 46.2-303 through 46.2-308, shall drive any motor vehicle on any highway in the Commonwealth of Virginia until such person has applied for a driver’s license, as provided in this article, satisfactorily passed the examination required by VA § 46.2-325, and obtained a driver’s license, nor unless the license is valid.
A violation of this section is a Class 2 misdemeanor in Virginia. A second or subsequent violation of this section is a Class 1 misdemeanor in Virginia.
Upon conviction under this section, the court may suspend the driving license for a period not exceeding 90 days.
DUI. A first offense DUI charge is a Class 1 misdemeanor in Virginia. The penalties can include a fine between $250 and $2,500, jail sentence of up to one year, revocation of your license for one year, and more. Considering the severity of the penalties involved, it is pertinent to get yourself an attorney to deal with the case. Speak to a skilled Herndon DUI lawyer today – Call 888-437-7747.
Insurance and Security Clearance
In addition to the actual penalties, you should consider the effect a conviction will have on your motor vehicle insurance rates. Insurance companies use their own point system and may raise your rates or refuse to renew your policy, even for a conviction for a single offense. If an insurance company raises your rates, this will usually be for a term of three years.
In case you have a government security clearance, it will have a lasting impact when convicted for a motor vehicle-related charge, especially for cases involving drugs or alcohol, or sentences involving jail term.
If you are convicted of a traffic offense in General District Court, you have the absolute right to appeal your traffic conviction to the Fairfax Circuit Court. Speak to a Herndon, Virginia lawyer today at 888-437-7747. C